Niacin is helpful for reducing cholesterol, and it’s also a powerful detoxifier. Performing a niacin detox can be an effective way to eliminate the toxins from your body.
The world we live in is a toxic one. The air in a large modern city is filled with pollution. When you breathe it in these toxins are entering your lungs. City tap water contains chlorine that enters the system through drinking it or showering with it.
The body does have its own detoxification system to flush toxins and remove them naturally, but it can only do so much. When you have so many toxins in the body, it just can’t get rid of all of them. Instead it “quarantines” them in fat cells.
Many of the detox plans, programs, and diets you can find are designed to remove toxins and enhance your overall wellbeing. Almost all of these programs will need you to change the way you eat or what you eat. Dr. Mercola and Dr. George Yu, however, came up with a creative way to detoxify and remove the toxins in your fat cells without the need to change your diet. The way they do this is through the use of niacin.
Using Niacin as a Detoxing Agent
The liver is the organ that handles detoxification in the body by neutralizing and removing harmful toxins. The four vitamins and minerals that the liver needs to detoxify your body are vitamin B3 (Niacin), Vitamin C, zinc, and magnesium.
Niacin can release toxins and heavy metal cells from your stored fat cells. This is the unique characteristic of niacin that inspired Dr. George Yu and Dr. Mercola to create a way to safely and more efficiently detox the body.
When following this method you use niacin to release the toxins from your fat cells and then sweat these toxins out through the use of exercise, a trip to the sauna, and charcoal.
Here are the specific step-by-step instructions for niacin detox:
- Take a 100mg dose of plain niacin; the kind that causes flushing. Avoid using a non-flushing niacin.
- Shortly after taking the niacin you should do an intense 20-minute cardio workout such as going on a jog, biking, jumping rope, or running on the treadmill. What matters most is that the exercise gets your heart rate up and gets you sweating.
- Cool down and then head to the sauna for 40 minutes. If you’ve never been in the sauna before, you’ll have trouble staying in there for 40 minutes. In that case, you need to have three sessions of 15-minutes. An infrared sauna is a better option if you can find one because they work by penetrating the skin. This makes you sweat and detoxifies you more than a regular sauna.
- After you finish in the sauna, you should take 500mg of activated charcoal pills. Dr. Yu recommends that dose to speed up detoxification. Charcoal will absorb the released toxins to help excrete them through your gastrointestinal tract. Just be careful to avoid taking activated charcoal alongside other supplements or medication because it is powerful enough to absorb and remove these medications as well.
- Drink a lot of purified and mineral water for the next few hours to complete detoxification
- And you’re done! You’ve managed to cleanse your system of toxins by using niacin successfully. Now you may need to change your diet and lifestyle at this point, so your system stays clean. Avoid eating junk food and choose organic options instead, drink plenty of water, and get regular exercise.
Important Note: When niacin releases these toxins you want to eliminate them as soon as possible through exercise and the sauna. If you don’t, they could damage your internal organs including your liver, kidney, and even your brain. Make sure that you start exercising and hitting the sauna within 15 minutes of taking niacin.
If you don’t have a sauna nearby, you can combine niacin with an “Epsom salt and ginger bath” instead. While this detox bath of heavy metals is a bit less efficient than saunas and infrared saunas it can still do a good job when used in conjunction with niacin.
To use a heavy metal bath instead of a sauna just follow the same steps from before but change step 4. Instead of going to the sauna run a bath of hot water and add a cup of Epsom Salt to the bath, along with a cup of baking soda and three tablespoons of ginger powder. Relax in the bathtub for about 20 minutes, and you’re done.
How Often can I Detox With Niacin and How Much Niacin Should I Take when I Do?
This is a question that I get asked a lot. Dr. Yu suggests that most people will only need to do a niacin detox once or twice each week to stay free of toxins.
The dose of niacin for a niacin detox is 100mg of pure niacin, which is the kind that causes flushing, used each and every time. If you do the niacin detox regularly, then you can have an easier time losing weight. If you’re trying to lose weight, then you need to detox on a regular basis, perhaps as much as four times a week, to speed up the process of losing weight.
To learn more about taking niacin for detoxification read the article about it at mercola.com.